- 1kg beef cheeks
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed or ½ teaspoon granules
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1-1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, that no-one will drink
- 2 whole tomatoes chopped
- Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef cheeks on all sides. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Add beef stock, 1 cup wine, onions, garlic and thyme to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer1-3/4 to 2-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove beef cheeks from stockpot; keep warm. Keep vegetables and cooking liquid on high to ensure a wholesome broth for your Jus.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, shallots and minced thyme; cook and stir 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add reserved cooking Jus and beef gravy mixture mixture to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes; stirring often. Remove skillet from heat; stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
- Serve sauce over cheek meat
Cook’s Tip: To cook in a slow cooker, add beef cheeks, salt and pepper, as desired, broth, 1 cup wine, with all your veg to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on HIGH 4 to 6 hours, or LOW 8 to 10 hours, or until beef is fork tender. When the beef is done, continue instructions for sauce preparations beginning in step 2.