- 2 Cleavers organic lamb shanks
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100 ml red wine
- 250 ml beef stock
- 1 cup tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
Pre-heat the oven to 160 C
- Place the flour into a plastic bag and season with salt and pepper. Add the shanks and shake to lightly coat the shanks with flour.
- Heat oil in medium sized casserole dish, or cast-iron pot. Sear the lamb shanks all over, then remove and set aside.
- Add more oil if necessary, reduce the heat to medium then add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the garlic and carrot, stir for 1 minute then add the red wine and stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for a minute or two then add the shanks and rest of the ingredients. Stir to coat the shanks with the sauce.
- Cover the pot with a lid (or aluminium foil)
- Place in the oven and cook for 2 hours, basting the shanks with the sauce from time to time.
Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and steamed green beans.
If you using a slow cooker add all ingredients and set on slow for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.