Australians have a love affair with the humble steak sandwich. There’s a known formula to this classic pub fare: a steak that could be grilled, barbecued, pan-fried or seared, then sandwiched in delicious soft bread. Our Cleaver’s Organic Beef Steak is certified 100% grass-fed and free-range, serving your steak cuts from farm-to-table freshness! You can never say no to a juicy and flavour-packed steak sandwich that would be perfect for lunch or dinner, so tuck in and explore a whole new taste with our Steak Sandwich recipes.
OUR FAVOURITE STEAK SANDWICH RECIPES AT CLEAVER’S
Introducing two of our favourite recipes here at Cleaver’s, ideal for your next family meal or outdoor barbeque. A quick tip before we get started – when the steak begins cooking, there are two options; cooking your steak whole, then slicing it after, or slicing the steak and sauteeing while it’s cooking. Ideally, you would want the juicy and tender cut of the beef for the perfect steak sandwich.
CLEAVER’S FAVOURITE STEAK SANDWICH RECIPE #1: PORTERHOUSE STEAK SANDWICH WITH CARAMELISED ONIONS, BRIE CHEESE AND CAESAR SALAD SIDE
What’s a more delicious barbeque recipe than steak loaded with caramelised onions and cheese? All that juiciness and rich flavours combined together. Cleaver’s porterhouse steaks are tender and full of juicy flavour. Perfect to please everyone at a big family meal, this recipe serves up to 8 servings.
Though it won’t be as tender as the tenderloin, nor does it burst with flavour quite like a Scotch fillet, the Porterhouse is the ‘just right’ option. And the best side for that extra crunch? Caesar Salad.
This recipe’s servings could be altered to your family’s size by using fewer/more steaks.
- 4 Cleaver’s Porterhouse Steaks
- 2 1/2 tbsp Extra Virgin oil
- 2 large red onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 8 mini-sized French rolls, pretzel buns, or similar soft, but sturdy buns
- 1 1/2 cups rocket
- 0.2kg brie (cut into thin slices)
- 1/2 cup fig jam
- Ground black pepper
For the Caesar Salad:
- 1/2 cup Caesar dressing
- 3 lettuce heads (about 0.9kg)
- 2 cups croutons
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Season steak with salt and pepper and let it rest to room temperature.
- Heat olive oil in a large sautee pan over medium-high and cook the sliced red onions until brown and soft, for 5-8 minutes. Season with salt to your liking.
- Reduce heat to low and let cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and caramelised, about 15 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Dijon to evenly coat. Remove the onions to a plate or bowl, then gently wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel.
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in the skillet over medium-high. Once the skillet is hot, add the seasoned steak.
- Sear the steaks for 1 minute on each side, then reduce the heat to low and cook the steak for about 6-8 minutes, turning once, until rare or when your meat thermometer reaches 51°C in the center. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice into strips.
- Spread the melted butter onto the bottom of a baking dish, using just enough to coat the pan.
- Lay the bottom of the buns in a single layer in the baking dish, then top with the rocket, steak slices, brie, and the caramelised onions.
- Spread the inside of the top buns with approx. 2 teaspoons jam, then lay the buns on top to complete the sandwiches. Brush the bun tops with the remaining melted butter, then cover the pan with foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese, has melted.
- To prepare the Caesar Salad, rinse and pat the lettuce until dry. Cut the lettuce into bite-size pieces and place it in a large bowl.
- Add a spoonful of caesar dressing, croutons and sprinkles of parmesan cheese and toss everything together.
- Serve your Steak Sandwiches fresh out of the oven, alongside the Caesar Salad, and enjoy!
CLEAVER’S FAVOURITE STEAK SANDWICH RECIPE #2: RIBEYE STEAK SANDWICH WITH AIOLI SAUCE AND CHIPS ON THE SIDE
This delicious recipe is loaded with cheese, peppers, mushrooms and roasted onions with aioli sauce, making it a mouth-watering and easy-to-prep sandwich. This meaty-goodness is best enjoyed with chips on the side. The best part? You can cook a huge batch and either refrigerate or freeze the filling, then heat it back up in the oven to save your prep time on those busy days. Serves up to 4 people, ideal for a family meal.
Scotch Fillet, or the Ribeye, is considered the most tender and flavoursome cut as it has rich marbling through it. They offer a superior taste because of their high-fat content, creating a tender and easy-to-bite sandwich. Many other cuts would work well, as long as you slice the beef very thinly.
- 4 Cleaver’s Organic Scotch Fillet Steaks, each sliced into 3 slices (about 0.25kg each)
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 1 large peeled and sliced yellow onion
- 1 large green bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 large red bell pepper (sliced)
- Sliced button mushrooms
- 4 bread buns
- 8 mozzarella cheese slices
- 4 provolone cheese slices
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
For the Aioli sauce:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (preferably whole egg)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon of whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon of horseradish (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
For the fries:
- 4 potatoes cut 4mm thick
- 1 tsp salt to taste adjust to taste
- Preheat the oven to 205°C.
- Prep the aioli sauce ahead- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes+ for the flavour to develop fully.
- Season the scotch fillet steaks well with salt and pepper at room temperature.
- Wash and cut the potatoes then fry them at 165°C for 5 minutes, drain them over paper towels and let it sit until it’s cool.
- Roast the onions in a pan over medium-low heat in some butter until golden brown, about 20 minutes then set aside.
- Roast the peppers and mushrooms in a pan over medium-low heat in some butter until browned, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Grill the steaks on an open flame or in a grill pan on medium-high heat with olive oil until grill marks are formed and the desired internal temperature has been achieved.
- Transfer the steak to the bread bun and layer on cheeses, peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
- Bake at 205°C for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bun is lightly toasted.
- Serve the Steak Sandwiches with Aioli sauce and add your chips, enjoy!